Home » Pitt Alumni

Pitt Alumni



What's online?

All of the serial publications between 1926 and 1985 are here online, including the University of Pittsburgh Record, Pittsburgh Record, University of Pittsburgh Alumni Bulletin, Alumni Review, Alumni News Review, Alumni Times and Pitt. Also included in this collection are two alumni directories which provide information about graduates from at least 1823 to 1916.

What's in the entire collection?

In addition to the serials found in this collection, issues of Pitt Magazine from 1986 to the present are available in print in the Archives Service Center, as well as the Hillman Library journals area. Digital editions of Pitt Magazine are available on the Pitt Magazine website from September 1994 to the present.

About Pitt Alumni

In 1926, with plans in place to construct the Cathedral of Learning, Chancellor Bowman and faculty understood that the University of Pittsburgh was about to take a giant step forward in its evolution as a university. The University of Pittsburgh Record was the method they chose to tell the story of the University, to document the construction of the "tall building," and to keep in touch with students, alumni and supporters. The magazine became the Pittsburgh Record because it was believed that "life at the University of Pittsburgh is inseparable from life in the city" and to that end people from outside the University community were invited to write on topics that concerned Pittsburgh, the University and the region.

From 1925 to 1930, the General Alumni Association suspended their dues requirement in favor of alumni funds flowing to the construction of the Cathedral. In 1930 the Association resumed collecting dues and began publishing the University of Pittsburgh Alumni Bulletin. This later became the Alumni Review which published alternating issues with the Pittsburgh Record. The Record ceased publication in 1946 and the Alumni Review was renamed the Alumni News Review.

The first Pitt magazine began publishing in 1939 and was focused on the University, much like the original University of Pittsburgh Record. It remained so until 1959 when the Alumni News Review merged into Pitt and was published "for alumni and friends of the University of Pittsburgh." Once again the Alumni Association put out a publication, "for alumni, parents and friends of the University". It began in 1969 and was called the Alumni Times. It published quarterly alternating issues with Pitt. Both ceased publication in 1985 and were replaced by Pitt Magazine in 1986.

(1 - 20 of 411)

Pages

Pages